Statistics reveal nearly 50,000 people are injured every year in traffic crashes. Moreover, approximately two percent are cyclist deaths and two percent injuries in vehicle crashes. Any bicycle accident attorney knows unfortunate injury and death plague our community roads and streets.
According to Florida statistics, there are several hundred bicycle crashes involving injury in Southwest Florida each year. In our region—Lee County, Collier County, Charlotte County, and Hendry County—there are roughly a dozen bicycle injury collisions per week.
Bicycle Accident Attorney Stresses Drivers Share Our Roads
Florida has a three-foot rule requiring motorists to provide a 3 foot buffer between their vehicle and bicycle. Also, we witness so many tragedies when this rule isn’t followed. Near-collisions are common, and actual crashes involving bicyclists occur far too often.
Fort Myers bicycle accident attorney David Harris cautions drivers: share our roads. Keep an eye out for bicycle riders on streets. Moreover, sharing our streets is required whether or not a bicycle lane exists.
Motorists should take precautions when encountering a bicycle on the road. Your bicycle accident attorney suggests:
- Allowing three feet clearance when passing a bicyclist
- Looking for cyclists before opening a car door
- Look to see if bicycles are present when pulling out from a parking space
- Yielding to bicycles at intersections
- Follow signs and signals regarding bikes
- Yield to bicycles on sidewalks near all driveways
Drivers must use extra caution when entering or exiting driveways and parking lots. For example, consider gated communities, convenience stores, gas stations and shopping center entry and exits. According to your bicycle accident attorney, most driveways have sidewalks running across them. Moreover, under Florida law—unless local code says otherwise—bicyclists are viewed as pedestrians in these circumstances.
Motorists must use extra caution, even when bicyclists are not. Drivers are always in a better position. Every bicyclist is exposed. Accordingly, all drivers should be extra-careful when encountering bicycles on the road. Moreover, when a driver fails, a bicycle accident attorney may seek damages for injured cyclists.
Bicycle Accident Attorney Cautions Bike Riders To Protect Themselves
While drivers often deserve blame for striking a bicyclist due to inattention or other negligence, bicyclists should take steps to avoid a crash. Your bicycle accident attorney recommends basic precautions:
- Wear a helmet: A properly fitted helmet is often effective to limit head injury resulting from a bicycle crash in some circumstances.
- Obey traffic laws: Bicyclists are vehicle operators, and must obey our traffic signs, signals, and lane markings. When cycling in the street, bicyclists must ride with traffic.
- Increase your profile: Bicycle riders increase their visibility to drivers by wearing bright colored clothing during daylight hours. Beginning at sundown, Florida law requires bike riders use front headlight and rear red light.
Although bicyclists follow rules and best cycling safely practices, motor vehicles are often unstoppable forces. Accordingly, as your bicycle attorney knows, while you decrease risks, you can’t eliminate dangers.
Bicycle Accident Attorney Pursues Your Claims for Compensation
Injuries and loss resulting from a bicycle collision can be minor or tragic. Scrapes and bruises are a welcome alternative to devastating injuries or death.
For harms stemming from bicycle crashes, contact experienced Fort Myers bicycle accident attorney David Harris right now for prompt legal help.
David represents seriously injured persons and wrongful death families against bad drivers and insurance companies. Furthermore, bicycle accident attorney David pursues maximum compensation for your harms, losses, and future needs.
Your consultation is free, thorough, and confidential. David believes in client access and responding to client needs. You have value, and we show it.
Call when you want. Because, we answer your phone calls and questions. Moreover, we value your opinions. Reach bicycle accident attorney David today. Use our easy contact form to start our free discussion.